The winter season is officially here. As I sit here writing this it’s snowing in GA!
Seasonal depression is definitely real. For me it usually comes on when its rainy and cold. I find it hard to get out of bed and to be in a good mood. If you feel this way around the holidays or in the winter, you’re definitely not alone.
Once I figured out why I was feeling unmotivated, sad or alone in these situations it actually made me feel better. I realized that this feeling was totally normal and a lot of people go through it.
Because of a combination of different wellness tactics I have incorporated recently, I haven’t really experienced the usual symptoms this winter. And if you know me, this is HUGE!
What I like to do to combat season depression:
- Choosing happiness everyday
- This idea might sound crazy, but it has turned my life around in 2017
- Consistent exercise
- This season is not an excuse to forget goals. I need to sweat at least 3X a week to feel myself. This can also be a great way to connect with friends during the holidays instead of meeting up for drinks. I went to yoga with my friend Liz the other day and it was a blast!
- Choosing to have alone time rather than isolating myself
- I love to be alone, it’s how I recharge. In the past I would isolate myself from friends which lead me to feel even sadder. Now, when I need alone time I realize I could be doing other things but I choose to recharge and have that time to myself.
Do you suffer with seasonal depression? If so, I feel you and wish you the best this season! Moral of the story-keep up with your goals & routine during this busy/stressful time of the year.