I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been asked “How do you stay healthy & fit while having a job?” We can all blame the 9-5, more likely 8-6 job, on our health suffering. However, I believe that we can all make it work. I’ve got a few tips up my sleeve on how to balance your corporate job with health & wellness goals.
My new series on Instagram: “Wellness Wednesday” captured this subject and I will continue to give my best wellness advice on different topics each Wednesday.
So, here are my corporate wellness tips:
- Workout before work
- When I get home after work, a lot of the time, my gym motivation is very low! I had to train myself to get up early and get my body moving while I still have the motivation.
- Eat breakfast at home
- Again, you will have to wake up a little earlier for this one, but it’s 100% worth it. Having a real breakfast at home saves you from the drive thru & unhealthy options at work, if you even have any options at all! Also, starting your day off with a healthy breakfast will get your body & mind ready for the work day. Hasn’t anyone ever told you breakfast is the most important meal of the day?
- Take the stairs
- This is such an easy one! If you’re thinking ‘I work on the 20th I’ll never be able to walk all the way,’ you need to think outside the box. Take the elevator to the 16 and walk up those 4 flights. Getting steps in is super important to overall health and it can be hard to find the time at a desk job. I always take a few extra laps or go up to the next floor when I need to use the restroom as well. If I’m getting up might as well get my steps!
- Pack your lunch
- I’ve talked about this before, but it is vital! This way you won’t be tempted to eat out or indulge in the catered lunches. I pack my lunch every single day and this way I can have full control of what I eat. Confession- Sometimes I accidentally leave my lunch box at home and go out with co-workers. That is ok- life happens.
- Drink up
- Brining a reusable water bottle to work will remind you to hydrate! Use it as an excuse for a little break. Whoops need to refill that water, want to come Suzy?
- Make your snacks healthy
- Luckily my office has bomb snacks (RX bars, fruit, la croix, larabars, raw nuts). But if they didn’t, you know I’d be packing my own snacks. I am the definition of a snacker (something I’m actively working on changing) but you never want to be caught at 3:00 p.m., stomach eating itself and all you have as an option is a bag of chips or a pop tart from the office kitchen. You need to prepare because hunger strikes!
- Learn on your commute
- De-stress at home
- Stop bringing your work home with you! Use your few precious hours to rest and relax, not to worry about your next deadline.
- Suggest a healthy spot for business meetings
- When meeting up for meetings after work, take initiative and suggest a healthy restaurant! This can take the stress away from trying to eat healthy at a chain restaurant for work event/meetings.
Anything I missed? Let me know in the comments!