I dare you to name a night more exciting than going out for Mexican food. Patrick and I both LOVE going out for Mexican (and a skinny margarita) but the majority of the time we cook at home. So, we decided to make a healthy version of our favorite dinner at home!
There are 2 keys to making Mexican food healthy…
- Letture Cups
Lettuce cups act as the tortilla, minus the carbs.
*Disclaimer- not saying carbs are the enemy by any means, this is just what I prefer if I’m making a healthier alternative.
2. Cauliflower Rice
I choose this over rice as a grain free alternative. If you’ve never made it you can buy it packaged in the frozen section. Sometimes I grate a head of cauliflower, if I have time, but most likely I’m using the frozen version (huge time saver). You’ll never know the difference between cauliflower and actual rice.
Prep: 5 mins Cook Time: 4-8 hours in the crockpot Serves: 4
- 3 organic chicken breasts
- 1 can of salsa
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 package of frozen cauliflower rice
- 4 limes
- 2 avocados
- onion powder
- pink salt
- Prep the chicken in the crock pot a few hours before dinner
- Season the chicken with onion powder and salt
- Add chicken and 1 jar of salsa to the crockpot
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours
- Once it’s dinner time, heat up as much cauliflower rice as needed and mix in chopped cilantro
- I usually do about a cup
- Using the lettuce cups, layer the rice, chicken and top with avocado and salsa
- Squeeze the juice of one lime on top